Monday, February 16, 2015

My Unique Design Timepiece

My Unique Design Timepiece
14" x 4.5" 
aluminum, glass sand hourglass

Making this timepiece was an interesting experience for me.  It was a good experience for me to learn metal casting - how to put shapes into clay and see them cast into metal. I learned about how to sculpt in plasticine clay, make sand molds, pour metal, grind and polish metal, and tap the metal to put it together. I used beads and little toys on the surface of the clay for the texture in metal.  I was inspired to make a timepiece while watching the Wizard of Oz.  I liked the way they used their timepiece and I wanted to make my own, so I did.  

Sculpted in clay
Cast in aluminum
Mixing the chemicals in the sand
Making two piece sand molds
Removing the sand
Brushing graphite on the mold
Tapping the aluminum 

No comments:

Post a Comment